Early in 2020, the Tuaran District Education Officer, Rasa Ria Resort Tuaran, and DGFC, selected eight schools in the Tuaran District to participate in the “Environmental Awareness and Food Safety Activities 2020” program. Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, it has not been possible to implement this program physically. However, the organisers are committed to implement it virtually through Facebook live on 12th July 2020.
The main objectives of the program are as follow:
- To increase awareness and understanding of the Wildlife Conservation Enactment 1997.
- To inspire students to become future leaders of wildlife conservation in Sabah.
- To increase awareness and understanding of wildlife diversity in Sabah.
- To increase awareness and understanding of hand and food safety during this COVID 19 pandemic.
Secondary students aged 13-17 years old in the Tuaran district. However, public (parents) are encouraged to participate.
Expected Audience Outcomes
- Participants aware of the importance of maintaining food safety and hand washing activities especially during COVID 19 pandemic.
- Strengthen their knowledge and awareness of current environmental/wildlife (hunting/illegal trade/illegal pet/deforestation) issues.
- Believe that individual and collective actions can make a difference.
- Develop greater empathy toward wildlife.
- Be familiar with a variety of laws and regulations that influence how natural resources (wildlife) are used and protected.